Friday, April 17, 2009

CO2 Famine?

I missed this Feb article in the UK Telegraph, but saw the link in the forum at the Mike Church Show site.

Excerpts:

""Award-winning Princeton University Physicist Dr. Will Happer declared man-made global warming fears "mistaken" and noted that the Earth was currently in a "CO2 famine now."""

""Many people don't realize that over geological time, we're really in a CO2 famine now. Almost never has CO2 levels been as low as it has been in the Holocene (geologic epoch) - 280 (parts per million - ppm) - that's unheard of. Most of the time [CO2 levels] have been at least 1000 (ppm) and it's been quite higher than that," Happer told the Senate Committee""

""Earth was just fine in those times," Happer added. "The oceans were fine, plants grew, animals grew fine. So it's baffling to me that we're so frightened of getting nowhere close to where we started," Happer explained. Happer also noted that "the number of [skeptical scientists] with the courage to speak out is growing" and he warned "children should not be force-fed propaganda, masquerading as science.""

"". Happer is a professor in the Department of Physics at Princeton University and former Director of Energy Research at the Department of Energy from 1990 to 1993, has published over 200 scientific papers, and is a fellow of the American Physical Society, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the National Academy of Sciences. Happer was reportedly fired by former Vice President Al Gore in 1993 for failing to adhere to Gore's scientific views. ""

""There have been similar and even larger warmings several times in the 10,000 years since the end of the last ice age. These earlier warmings clearly had nothing to do with the combustion of fossil fuels. The current warming also seems to be due mostly to natural causes, not to increasing levels of carbon dioxide. Over the past ten years there has been no global warming, and in fact a slight cooling. This is not at all what was predicted by the IPCC models," Happer testified""

__________
This goes along with my concerns about my son's Grade 6 teacher repeatedly talking to the students about Global Warming. My 11 yr old is the only child in the class who asks questions about it and voices his concerns. We were listening to various news reports concerning Global Warming AND Cooling and my son said "I am so confused. They say the planet is getting too hot so they want to try putting pollution high up there to weaken the sun's rays, but then they are saying the planet is getting too cold because the sun hasn't been as hot. If the sun is not as hot, why would we want to block it's power?" I had no answer for him other than "I have no flippin' idea!". Then he asked why they want people to stop driving cars that give off pollution, and then put pollution up there anyway to block the sun. I don't have an answer for any of that because it doesn't make sense to me either. But yet, with all this confusion, his teacher is telling them about Global Warming and how we have to change our ways. She eventually admitted that they don't really know, but then has taught about it twice since then. ARGH. It frustrates me. All I can do is tell her my views on it (which I did and she didn't really comment), and then make sure my son has access to other information out there as we find it. He heard the report that polar ice caps are actually BIGGER now, not smaller, and that's a start. He files all of that away in his mind to use in class lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Disclaimer

These are my views and opinions. If you don't agree or think I am sadly misguided, that is your view. Feel free to share your thoughts but I also reserve my right to moderate content (IE foul language, excessive flaming, etc).