So the Conservatives have their majority, did you hear? And the NDP had an astonishing run, coming in farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in the running to become the official opposition. Whoa. I almost choked 50 times watching the Liberal numbers stay low, the Bloc almost disappear, and the NDP swallow up nearly every seat in their path. It was so odd, watching the early polling results coming in and the Liberals were at around 20 when I tuned in... then 30... then pretty much stayed there the rest of the time. Wow. I am still shocked. I'm not sure how I feel about the NDP being the opposition, I've read some rather hard policies and ideas of their's over the years... but the C's have the majority so.... PHEW.
Anyway I have been rather saddened by some posts I have seen around the net from friends, musical interests of mine, etc. People have been told to get out and VOTE VOTE VOTE... but when it doesnt go their way, suddenly the claws come out calling the majority of voters idiots, fools, crazy, blind, stupid, etc. Why do that? When Harper only managed a minority govt these past elections, I didnt run around calling the Liberal and NDP voters idiots. I was just like 'oh well, them's the breaks'. I'm sure others called them names, but I didn't, so it makes me feel sad inside that despite supposedly being such nice calm people up here, there are some nasty ass comments flying around.
Such as (and I am just copying and pasting from public pages on FB/pardon the language too):
- I'm so fucking disappointed right now!
FUCK SAKES CANADA!
- We're so screwed. Canadians are obviously really out to lunch...
- Start saving for lube and get ready to bend over because we are about to take it straight up the fucking ass. I apoligize for the language but I'm flabergasted by the stupidity
- I guess Canadians are gluttons for punishment.
- I am legitimately frightened for the future of this country, and the sanity of a people who would trust a morally bankrupt, overtly religious, worringly secretive maniac and his corrupt party to lead this nation. Banner fucking day, Canada. Enjoy the next four years...
- I'm sad. I am sad for democracy, and I am sad for Canada.
- obviously us Canadians don't know what the fuck is going on!
- A majority of Canadians are BLIND...it embarrasses me.
- pretty disgraceful. apparently we didn't learn by watching our neighbours to the south. baby bush is alive and well. how long until we get our own obama?
- I'm not a violent person but I'd like to punch someone right now.
- we are truly living amongst a sea of retards, what a very sad day!!
- So Disappointing...yet oddly predictable. Canada's politics is a sad affair indeed.
- I think all people who didn't vote should be branded, do not complain people if you didn't vote, and those who did vote Harper, Thank for nothing (my note: ummmmmmm you want people to be branded who did NOT vote, but then the ones that did you are going to diss? that makes soooo much sense)
- I'm thoroughly disgusted with this country. I now know how Democrat supporters felt in 2004 with W. was elected for a second term.
- I am extremely disappointed with my countrymen tonight.
Okay so you get the idea. That was all actually from ONE fb page of a musician I like, but have never agreed with about politics lol. Anyhow I put a response there and someone just asked me if I thought it was okay that bush won re-election by a small margin. Ummmmm yeah I am okay with that actually lol. Obama won by a very similar margin and I pointed that out but of course that's different because he is a Liberal/Democrat, right? Geezus people... maybe face the music that Ignatieff stuffed up royally and people were not confident in him as a leader let alone a Prime Minister, and many were afraid of Jack Layton too, so they went a bit to the right and chose the Conservatives. That's how these things go. People tout democracy and try to force other countries to adopt the same system, but at the end of the day it hasnt been proven to work in any society over human history anyway, has it? 51% of the people can vote the rights of the other 49%... that's never going to make people happy.
then I see people complaining that we are going to end up with a 2 party system like the US ----- but having multiple parties isnt what it's cracked up to be either is it? The vote gets spread thinly sometimes and makes it difficult for any party, no matter who you support, to get their voice heard. Two parties seems wrong, but 3, 4, 5 parties aint doin so hot either. But even then, when the vote split ends up with a majority, you still see endless comments like I have pasted above. That is pretty sad, don't you think?